Jah Roots to go first in South
Jah Roots will be the first south-based band to be judged as the National Panorama Single Pan Band Preliminaries continues.
Playing the band’s arrangement of Aldwyn Roberts’ “Sixty Seven”, Jah Roots which hails from Ernest Gardens, Warden Road, Point Fortin, is led by patriarch Jessy Lessey.
Nine (9) bands are listed in this region and will be judged before a four-person panel at their respective panyards starting Friday January 20th with the first four(4) bands while the next five (5) will be heard on Saturday January 21st.
Of which, three (3) have opted for songs/tunes composed by Austin Lyons. They are Highlighters (“Fete”), New Age Trendsetters (“Nani Wine”), and Pan Angels (“Signal To Lara”).
The order of appearance is as follows:-
Friday January 20th, 2017 – 7:00 pm
Band Selection Composer Arranger
1 Jah Roots Sixty Seven Aldwyn Roberts The Band
2. La Romaine Super Vibes Full Extreme Ultimate Rejects Garvin Williams/Hudson Henry
3.Highlighters Fete Austin Lyons Jason Farell
4. Shades In Steel Showdown (Band Meets Band) Machel Montano/Peter Lewis Dante Pantin
Saturday January 21st - 2:00 pm
5. Rio Claro Koskeros Johnny Robin Imanshah/Gary Dore Kenny Pascall
6. Kings Row Retro Riddum Judith Owen Reyes Johnson Aquil Arrindell
7.Edinburgh 500 Steel Ensemble Don’t Stop This Party Leston Paul Andre Bolden
8. New Age Trendsetters Nani Wine Eddie Ayoung/Austin Lyons Myles Phillip/Curtis Jones
9. Pan Angels Signal To Lara Austin Lyons Junior Jackman
The competition continues on Sunday 22nd January and Monday 23rd January in the Eastern Region from 3:00 pm.
17th January 2017
Nineteen (19) bands affiliated to the Eastern Region will be judged as the National Single Pan Bands Preliminaries reaches its fourth day of competition.
Last year’s joint winners, Marsicans will play at number 10 on Sunday January 22, with Trinidad East Side Symphony performing in the last spot on Monday January 23, at their respective panyards.
First off the starting block on Sunday at 3:00 pm is North Eastern All Stars of Valencia. The band under the baton of Leston Paul. Their tune of choice is “Melosian Rhapsody” composed by Winsford “Joker” Devine and sung by Timothy Watkins aka The Baron.
The judging process will take place over two days with the first twelve (12) bands on Sunday and the rest (seven) on Monday January 23rd.
Listed below is the order that the bands will be adjudicated.
Sunday January 22nd - 3:00 pm
Bands Selection Composer Arranger
1. North Eastern All Stars Melosian Rhapsody Winsford Devine Leston Paul
2. Star Sapphire Fire Down Below Len Sharpe Patrick Moreno
3.East Phonics Teaser Alston Cyrus Gary Raymond
4.Pan Stereonetts Shakin It Ronnie McIntosh Anslem Campbell
5.Brazil RX4 Kaka Roach Aldwyn Roberts Akil Browne
6.Magic Notes Rebirth Tell Me Why Winsford Devine Rishi Depoosingh/Jerome Jones
7.Pan on the Move Oh God, Oh God Edwin Ayoung/W. Devine Joseph Rivers
8. Trinidad Nostalgic Flag Party Austin Lyons Amrit Samaroo
9.Nu Pioneers Pan Groove Drive It Edwin Ayoung Shaun & Simon Marcano
10. Marsicans Thunder Kelvin Pope Marlon White
11.Arima All Stars S/Orch. Get Something & Wave Austin Lyons Brian Austin
12. Pan Elites Hammer David Rudder Kevin Guishard
Monday 23 January - 6:30 pm
13. St. Thomas Silver Stars Sugar Bum Aldwyn Roberts
14. T&T Prison Service Nah Do Dat Iwer George Terrence Sealy
15. Pan Jammers Different Me Jovan Jones Robert Tobitt
16. Chord Masters
17. San Juan All Stars Johnny Gary Dore/Robin Imanshah Atiba Joseph
18. Platinum This Party Is It Christopher Herbert Natasha Joseph
19. Trinidad East Side Symphony Pan In Danger Dennis Williams Franklyn Jerod Lett/Sheldon Harewood